The Professional Standards Division is responsible for accepting, assigning and/or investigating all complaints of alleged misconduct against employees of the Greenville Police Department. The fundamental purpose of this unit is to assure the protection of rights and fair treatment of the public while maintaining the integrity of the police department and its employees.
The Greenville Police Department encourages anyone who believes they have a valid complaint against an employee of this agency to file a report. To begin the reporting process, please call the Internal Affairs Division at 864-467-5510 or submit your complaint online. Once you submit a complaint via the online system, it will be assigned to a Professional Standards sergeant the next business day and you will be contacted as soon as possible. Greenville Police Complaint Investigation Process (PDF)
All allegations of misconduct will be thoroughly investigated. Only by becoming aware of improprieties by our employees can we take the necessary corrective and/or disciplinary action to ensure that this department continues to maintain the highest standards.
Professional Standards conducts a thorough and impartial investigation of each complaint, and makes one of the following dispositions based on the findings of that investigation:
- Unfounded: the allegation is false and the alleged incident did not occur
- Exonerated: the incident in question occurred, but the employee's actions were reasonable, lawful and proper
- Not Sustained: the investigation did not disclose sufficient evidence to prove or to disprove the allegation
- Sustained: the allegation is proven by sufficient evidence
- Improper Conduct Not Based On Complaint: the investigation proved substantiated improper conduct by the employee that was not alleged in the complaint
Complainants are informed in writing of the final disposition of their complaint.
Professional Standards Staff
Captain Stacy Owens
Sergeant Eddie Ross
Sergeant Michael Estes
Recruiting and Hiring
Recruiting and hiring for the department is housed under the Professional Standards Division as well. Sergeant Donnie Ng is in charge of recruiting and processing applicants once they have applied. If you are interested in knowing more about the process or want to see the benefits and requirements, contact Sergeant Ng at 864-467-5021 and Officer Nate Brooks at 864-467-4714 or visit the GPD careers page.