- Parks, Recreation & Tourism
- Parks and Rec Policies
Parks and Recreation Regulations and Policies
REGULATIONS AND POLICIES:
° The City of Greenville maintains the rights to alter or end any event anytime it is determined necessary to assure the continued public safety, health and welfare for the event participants, park visitors of the surrounding community.
° The City of Greenville has the right to expel any person or persons violating the established rules, regulations, ordinances or conditions for the Special Event Permit or Rental Reservation.
° Reservations for weddings, pictures, picnics and other group events that require the use of park amenities that will restrict the use of such amenities by the general public shall be reviewed on a case by case basis. The applicant will be charged for the use of park facilities, i.e., picnic shelters, athletic fields, etc. Activities and events with more than 100 participants, volunteers, and or staff workers may be required to obtain a Special Event Permit.
° The applicant agrees to conduct its program with due regard to safety and in particular agrees to accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities.
° Public property and public events are open to all members of the public regardless of race, gender, national origin, color or creed.
° The City of Greenville reserves the right to inspect all areas of the event site including all vendor operations during the terms of the event without restriction.
° Enclosure of any area or erection of any structures on park property is prohibited unless authorized by the Special Event Permit.
° Tents, catering trucks, public address systems, amplified music and electronic musical instruments can only be used with the permission of the Director of Parks and Recreation, with the issuance of a Special Event Permit (call Special Events Office, 864-467-6627).
° Grills, cooking devices, and generators are prohibited.
° Pony and other animal rides are prohibited.
° Alcohol Restrictions - No person shall consume, possess, or bring into any of the Parks and Recreation Facilities, any beer, wine, liquor, malt or any other alcoholic beverages whatsoever without a permit.
° Smoking is prohibited indoors at any City facility.
° The renter is responsible for any damages to public property.
° The renter must be at least 21 years of age. Youth groups (18 & under) must be chaperoned by one adult per 10 youth.
° Camping - Camping by individuals or groups is prohibited in all City parks unless approved by the Director of Parks and Recreation or his designated representative.
° Fireworks – Fireworks are prohibited in all City of Greenville parks.
° Public concerts and live performances utilizing amplified sound equipment are prohibited in all parks unless approved by the Director of Parks and Recreation, with the issuance of a Special Event Permit.
° Admission charges, sales and other profit making activities are prohibited. Conducting or soliciting of any business, trade, or occupation, including the sale of food, refreshments or merchandise, the taking of photographs and motion pictures for commercial use, and the instructing of classes or giving lessons at a charge to participants or for the purpose of promoting a commercial enterprise is prohibited unless authorized by the Director of Parks and Recreation.
° Disposing of cremation ashes on public property is prohibited.
° Dogs must be on a leash of no longer than 6 feet, at all times.
Policy for Dogs in Parks:
° Dogs must be on a leash, of no longer than 6 feet in length, at all times. The owner/handler is responsible for all actions of the dog while in the park or on the trail.
° The owner/handler is responsible for all clean-up and disposal of dog waste.
° Dogs are not permitted on athletic playing fields, playgrounds, or in any other area designated by signage.
° Service dogs are exempt from restrictions while performing their duties.
- City parks are open from 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. (spring/summer)
- No alcohol or drugs are allowed
- Reserved Area must be left clean and free of litter - this includes removal of all balloons
- Use of sidewalk chalk is prohibited
- No tents/structures may be erected
- Loud music/Public Address (PA) systems are prohibited
- Weddings may be held at Falls Park or Rock Quarry Garden only, with a signed contract
- Events open to the public may require a special event permit
- Vehicles are not allowed to park on any grass area
- There will not be vehicular access from the parking lot to the picnic shelter
- Payment is due in full when the reservation is made
- Extra grills, cooking devices, and generators are prohibited in all city parks
- Inflatables (bounce houses, etc.) are prohibited in city parks
- Camping is prohibited
The renter must be at least 21 years of age. Youth groups (18 & under) must be chaperoned by one adult per 10 youth. The renter is responsible for any damages to public property.
PAYMENTS AND REFUNDS:
Full payment is due when the reservation is made. A 30-day notice of cancellation is required to receive a 50% refund. Refunds will not be given for cancellations made less than 30-days prior to the event (even if the reservation was made during this time). All facilities are rain or shine. Refunds will not be given for inclement weather. Reservations are non-transferable.
° Metal detecting and excavation are prohibited in all city parks.
It is your responsibility to inform your guests of prohibited items.
- Offensive and inappropriate language.
- Excessively loud music.
- Possession or use of illegal drugs, firearms, knives or any other weapon.
- Animals, except certified service dogs.
- Bounce playhouses or electrical rides.
- Smoking or vaping inside any City-owned facility. Smoking is only allowed in designated areas.
- Alcoholic beverages unless granted permission through a special event permit.
- Any illegal activity.
**Events or parties that are scheduled for ages 13 to 21 years are not allowed
No Commercial Activity
There shall be no fundraising activities, door charges or sale of any article for private gain. Fundraising events will be granted to non-profit groups only. Non-profit status is defined as any group holding a 501(C)3 tax exemption from the Internal Revenue Service.
Facilities will not be available for rental on major holidays: Christmas Eve/Day, New Year’s Eve/Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Thanksgiving Day.
Set Up/Clean Up:
- Renter is responsible for set up/clean up related to the reservation.
- The facility must be cleaned and completed by the end of reservation time.
- All areas should be left in the condition in which they were found.
- Guidelines for clean-up is attached to the contract.
- Cleaning supplies, mops, brooms, trash bags are in the custodian closet that is available for use.
- All trash must be tied up and placed in the appropriate receptacle.
- Excessive trash incurring additional pickup charges will be billed to the individual or organization that signs the rental contract.
- The use of displays, banners, decorations or similar items is expressly limited to freestanding elements, tables, or easels. The attachment of displays, banners, decorations or similar items on walls, doors, windows, posts or any other surface is prohibited.
- Attachment of wire, rope, chain, or cable to any tree or shrub for the purpose of anchorage is prohibited. Hammocks, swings, etc. must be free-standing and not hung from or attached to park buildings or trees.
Designated parking is available on premises. No parking or driving vehicles on grass, walks, trails or service roads.
The rental of the indoor facility includes only that space and DOES NOT include the EXCLUSIVE use of the park or playground, bathrooms, parking lot, other facilities, etc. Other events may be taking place within the park at the same time of the reservations.
Staff will be scheduled to be on duty during facility reservations. Staff is not required to assist with event setups, serve at events, or clean up after events.
We recommend that you employ a professional caterer for your event if you are serving food. Make prior arrangements with your caterer to clean the kitchen and remove all food, trash, and rental equipment. Remember to ask how much time your caterer will need to set up and clean up so you can better estimate your rental time. All food must be pre-made prior to event. There is NO cooking allowed on site. Table coverings are required if you are serving food or beverages.
- Linens, paper supplies or kitchen supplies are not available for rental use.
- City staff is not responsible for articles, food or materials left at the conclusion of the event. These items will be disposed of at the discretion of the City.
- The City will not be responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Decorating and delivery of rental equipment may not begin prior to your reservation time. A separate rental time must be reserved and rental fee paid for set-ups required the day before a scheduled event. Early set up requests will be handled on an individual basis.
Renter shall be at least 21 years of age.
City of Greenville Parks & Recreation Department (864) 467-4355
Business Hours: 8 am – 5 pm Mon-Fri.
After business hours emergency:
Non-emergency number for Police Dept. (864) 271-5333
Emergency situations: Dial 911
Reservation and Fees: Reservations must be made 14 days prior to the day of the event. Reservations are non-transferable. Visit Registrations / Reservations to view information, check availability, make reservation requests and make payment. Administrative office can be reached at 864-467-4355.
Cancellation: A 30-day notice of cancellation is required to receive a 50% refund. Refunds will not be given for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the event (even if the reservation was made during this time). Reservations are rain or shine. Refunds are not given for inclement weather.
Hours of Rental: Community Center rentals have a three-hour minimum. Hours may be added with an additional charge. Rental times may be scheduled between the hours of 8:00 am and 8:00 pm. All event details must be FINALIZED 14 days prior. NO ADDITIONAL TIME ALLOWANCE can be made to the rental contract. You may not access your rental early. You must pay for all time used.
Violations of rules:
- Person(s) violating the existing rules and regulations constituting a public nuisance or potential hazard to persons or property, or exhibiting disorderly conduct, shall be served notice by the staff and expelled from the facility. Such violations can be subject to prosecution in accordance with state and local laws and ordinances.
- Right to alter or end an event: City staff maintains the right to alter or end an event at any time it is determined necessary to protect the facility from damage; or to assure the safety and welfare of event participants, park visitors or the surrounding community.
- In the event a function is ended for cause, no refund will be issued.
Damage or altering the appearance of any portion of the facility or surrounding area will result in a damage fee. An inspection is conducted immediately after each rental. The person renting the facility is responsible for any damages and will be billed/invoiced for cost or replacement items.